Young talented students from prestigious universities met at the ESCP Europe's London Campus on 22nd & 23rd February to participate in the 2019 School’s Energy Trading Challenge.
Jointly organised by our 2019 MSc in Energy Management (MEM) students, in collaboration with Smart Global, ESCP Europe, and its Research Centre for Energy Management (RCEM), this year’s challenge sponsored by Glencore provided an excellent platform for students to learn key insights on trading oil and gas products.
London Campus Dean Prof. Dr Simon Mercado, Prof. Dr Kostas Andriosopoulos, Executive Director of the RCEM and Academic Director of ESCP Europe's Energy Management Programmes, and Luke Horswell, Director of Smart Global delivered the welcome remarks.
The RCEM is pleased to announce the following key facts of this successful event:
- 205 attendees representing 23 universities met at the event to share their knowledge, exchange ideas and compete against one another.
- A truly international competition, this event gave students from the most prestigious universities and business schools of Europe, the Americas and the UK the opportunity to participate in a stimulating and thought-provoking two-day event.
- On 22nd February, participants benefited from excellent networking opportunities at the drinks reception hosted at ESCP Europe London Campus.
- A roundtable on the topic of “What does the future hold for oil & gas markets?" was held in tandem with the event.
- Students from ESCP Europe, London Institute of Banking & Finance, London Business School, Cranfield University, University College London, London School of Economics and Political Science - (LSE), University of Sussex, University of Strathclyde, Toulouse School of Economics, CASS Business School, Imperial College London, Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México (ITAM), University of Dundee, Université Paris II Panthéon Assas, Université Paris-Dauphine, University of The West of Scotland, King’s College London, and many others were awarded for their participation
This year’s speakers included:
Cecile Tibi-Rambal, VP Market Risk Management, Total
Gary Middleditch, Co-Head Trader at Arcadia Petroleum Ltd
Eifion Llyr Thomas, Junior Trader / Commercial Analyst, Glencore
Reece Harrison, Naphtha trader, Glencore
Lucie Roux, Senior Writer, Atlantic LNG, Platts
The teams benefited from two days of professionally-crafted trading scenarios representing two full months in the Energy industry. This year, the final results were based on combined relative performance across numerous trading sessions.
Prof. Dr Kostas Andriosopoulos and Luke Horswell announced the top three teams at the end of the second day.
- 1st place: LIBF Associates Ltd – Zoya Shah, Ahmar Asif, George Jackson, James Wigglesworth and Zoey Denham
The London Institute of Banking and Finance
- 2nd place: 31 Touch – Nicol Thomas, Lauge Christophe, Daniel Ostalé and Lucas Fabre
Toulouse School of Economics
- 3rd place: Imperial Alpha – Yu Zhang, Gianpiero Placidi, Adam Isenberg, Shengda Xu and Ernesto Santibanez Borda
Imperial College London
Other top ten teams include students from: ESCP Europe, London Business School and Cranfield University.
The full results of the challenge are available here.
ESCP Europe and its RCEM would like to congratulate the winning teams on their outstanding performance.
Pictures of the event are available here.
Glencore is one of the world’s largest global diversified natural resource companies and a major producer and marketer of more than 90 commodities, with 90 offices in over 50 countries.
The Group’s oil business is predominantly based in the heart of the London’s West End, New York and Singapore. Key commodities include crude oil and oil products.
We have been involved in the marketing of oil since our business began in 1974. Today, in addition to trading oil products, our oil business, together with our partners, is investing in and developing oil production facilities.
About ESCP Europe
Established in 1819, ESCP Europe has educated generations of leaders and entrepreneurs. With its six urban campuses in Berlin, London, Madrid, Paris, Turin and Warsaw, ESCP Europe's true European identity enables the provision of a unique style of cross-cultural business education and a global perspective on international management issues. ESCP Europe welcomes 4,600 students and 5,000 executives from 100 different nations every year, offering them a wide range of general management and specialised programmes (Bachelor, Masters, MBA, Executive MBA, PhD and Executive Education). ESCP Europe is among the 1% of business schools worldwide to be triple-accredited (AACSB, AMBA, EQUIS).
ESCP Europe Business School (London) is the Winner of the Times Higher Education UK Business School of the Year Award 2018.
About ESCP Europe Bicentenary
A pioneer for the past 200 years, ESCP Europe can be proud of a large number of innovations (the "case method", the gap year) that have been successfully adopted all over the world. Today it is the only pan-European school, with six campuses in Berlin, London, Madrid, Paris, Turin, and Warsaw, and an associated campus in Luxembourg. Beyond celebrating 200 years of a model that we invented, the whole ESCP Europe community participates in its redesign to implement the world of tomorrow. Throughout the year, hackathons, videos and blogs, conferences, Bicentenary Talks, and the unique European Festival Tour will collectively invent the Business School for the 21st Century. The events will take place on all Campuses and involve all parts of the School’s rich international community: Faculty, companies, students, alumni, and academic partners. Find out more here.